20 Genius Hacks For Every Girl That Has Curly Hair
Curly Hair Tips & Tricks
I have to admit that I have hair envy. When I see someone with beautiful spiral locks I feel a bit jealous. My hair is wavy in some parts and curly in other areas. It's frizzy and never mind it looking even remotely human in humid weather. I can never seem to get my curls and waves to look pretty,so instead of embracing my locks, I tried for years to get rid of them completely. My best friend was a flat iron and I fried my hair daily. All I really wanted was smooth gorgeous looking hair, so after years of damaging it, I have decided to embrace the curls. I went on a mission to find the tips for keeping frizz away making my waves as smooth and bouncy as possible.
Here are a few of my top curly hair tips and hack that absolutely work!
1. When detangling your hair, use your fingers or a wide tooth comb. This will help prevent breakage and maintain the shape of your curls. This is the gentlest way to detangle curls because it doesn't disrupt the natural curl pattern as much as a brush would
2. What kind of pillow case do you sleep on? All that tossing and turning at night can do some real damage to your curls. Try switching to a satin or silk pillowcase. This will protect your curls all night long.
3. Do you dry your hair with a towel? Use an old t-shirt instead. This material is much softer and gentler on hair which will help reduce frizz and breakage.To do this, gently wrap up the ends of your hair in the shirt and squeeze out the excess water.
4. When you comb your hair, which end do start from? Try combing from the ends upward, gradually move upward to the roots. It's much easier to comb through knots at the ends first and you will avoid breakage.
5. Before you step into the shower, apply your favorite deep conditioner to your hair and put on a shower cap. Wash your body before washing your hair as normal. All the steam from the shower will help your curls lock in moisture.
6. Before you step out of the shower apply a small amount of conditioner, and comb it through your hair. This will help keep your curls from separating and reduce frizz.
7. On that same note, don't completely rinse out all the conditioner when washing your hair. It's OK to leave a small amount of conditioner in your hair. Your curly ends will thank you.
8. Mix leave-in conditioner with gel or cream to moisturize your hair while sculpting the curls. Scrunch and twist the product into damp hair and air-dry or style as normal.
You might also like 5 step by step eyeshadow tutorials here.
9. Is your hair dry? Try any one of these amazing DIY hair masks. Your hair will look and feel AMAZING!
10. Try applying coconut oil all over your hair as a deep conditioner before showering. If you have very dry hair, rub coconut oil on the ends when styling for extra shine.
11. Hate crunchy curls? You can help prevent them by applying a small amount of hair oil after using your styling products like mousse or gel. Just rub a bit of oil onto the areas that feel a bit stiff.
12. Do you work out? Apply deep conditioner to your hair before hand. The heat from working out will help lock in moisture and your curls will be extra soft. Just rinse as normal after your you killed it at the gym.
You might also like Life changing hacks for anyone with oily skin here.
13. Do you have split ends? They make your hair frizzy and unhealthy. Healthy looking curls look bouncy and soft,make sure to get a trim at least every every six to eight weeks.
14. Mix two or more products together to meet your specific styling needs Try a smoothing serum plus mousse or mixing a styling gel and coconut oil. Either of these combos will help leave your hair less crunchy and keep your hair smooth.
15. Need an extra bounce when your hair is dull or dry? Simply use your fingertips and apply a dime-size amount of styling gel or oil to your ends. Your bounce is now back!
16. Use a diffuser! This will help you dry them quickly without disturbing the natural shape of your curl as it diffuses the air spreading it softly through your locks.
17. The Pineapple Method. Yes this is a thing. This is the secret to waking up with gorgeous second day curls. What is this? A high ponytail on the top of your head while you sleep. No magic. Pineappling is a great natural way of taking care of your curls and preserving them at night so you don’t have to deal with frizzy hair in the morning.
Here's a quick video showing you how it's done...
18. Looking for a few highly recommended curly hair products? Check out these!
Here are a list of the products mentioned:
- John frieda frizz-ease dream curls enhancing oil
- Tigi catwalk defining serum
- Boots essentials curl cream
- My curls curl smoothie
- Umberto gianini flirty curls scrunching jelly
- Wella shockwaves volume mousse
- Tigi catwalk strong mousse
- Charles worthington front row salt spray
- Vo5 give me texture tousled style spray
- Tigi catwalk session series salt spray
19. Need a few easy everyday styles for your locks? These 3 are super easy to do and take only minutes! This is how to style natural curly hair.
20. Last but definitely not least, here are a few curly hair do's and don'ts from Jade at Jadekendle.com. Her tips will have your hair looking luscious!